Sunday, July 19, 2009

The 21st

Apparently, I just found out, during my bday party yesterday, that it is Hokkien people's tradition to celebrate 21st birthdays secara besar-besaran.

Well... according to Joy's mother. And I will just take her word for it since adults are supposed to be wiser when it comes to stuff like this.

But then again, I supposed I'm an adult now too.

Ah... the responsibilities.

Anyways, because Zaza they all said 21st should be celebrated, well, on the eve of my bday I had pizza with my housemates and Sal. It wasn't much, but at least the pizzas filled the tummy pretty well.

Then, as usual, my housemates caught me by surprise when they ambushed me with chocolate cake. I thought they wouldn't have the stomach to eat anymore, since the pizzas pretty much made us so bloated that we thought nothing can go in anymore, but I guess there is always another tummy for dessert.

The cake, well, some of us thought it wasn't delicious at all, but I was okay with it. It brought back memories from childhood, when the cakes that I ate when I was a kid was a bit salty rather than super duper sweet.

And I was so touched, when Zaza, Meme, Mishel, Yeunouh, and Lynda bought me my favorite book for my present. Well... the story was, I was looking for The Green Mile with the exact cover as the book in library, cause I want it to have some sentimental value seeing as I fell in love with that book in that cover, but this different cover works as well. Oh... and they decided to chuck in an additional mascara because apparently Zaza saw me eyeing those mascaras (because the packaging looks so pretty!), and they decided to buy me one too.

So... on the day itself, my bday, well, I got a lot of bday wishes from friends. I was really touched that a friend who I hadn't talked to for two years already texted me and wished me Happy Birthday, because I thought he wouldn't remember, or wouldn't care.

After class, I went to 1U with Sal because we missed BBQ plaza too much. It was a bit... disappointing, as we felt as though we didn't get to eat puas-puas, but oh well. Had fun trying on different dresses in Forever 21, and Sal bought me the bangles that I have been eyeing!! Happiness... which was short lived because due to my carelessness, the bangles dropped on the floor and the paint got scrapped a bit. And I haven't even gotten the chance to wear it! Damn.

A bit of a bummer, when Sal and I got back from 1U, this scary Indian driver cheated us. The super meter ran so fast that by the time I got back to Tiara, it was 13 bucks, when usually, even with traffic jam, the amount wouldn't go over 10 bucks.

So... yesterday, my mum threw me a 21st bday party. Even though it was considered not so good to have a celebration after the actual bday date, my mum decided that it was okay because my chinese calendar bday hadn't passed yet.

The party wasn't too grand, but it wasn't very shabby either. Well, the guests were mostly my parents' friends, and my friends were all too busy to be there. Too bad, though Andrea, Joy and Kang were there. Honestly, I was so surprised and touched that Kang came. She told me she wouldn't.

Anyways... other than the eating, chatting, and blowing candles, which, instead of 21 candles like my mum wanted me to blow, I only got to blow three cause the wind took care of the other 18 for me, there were, of course, presents!

My cousin was so excited about me opening her gift, that she actually bugged me to open her gift. It was kinda funny, actually, because it was this black and white scarf that was, well, more of my sis's style, and my cousin, being the blur case that she is, she thought I was the one who wears this kind of style. But oh well, at least she stuck with the basic colours and not some lala kind of colours.

Got some jewelries and soft toys, and also ang paus. The most mengezadaokan present is from Joy and Kang, which, honestly, I supposed it suits Kang better since the function seems to be more practical to her rather than me. Hear that, Miss Kang?

I supposed everyone only turns 21 once in their life, and I'm just grateful that I have people who care and love me so much that they remember and are willing to pamper me just because it was my birthday.

Thanks, guys! Thanks for the memorable 21st.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just remembered...that i didnt wish u happy birthday *gasp* what happened to my memory??? Sigh...anyway...I'll make it up to u k?

oh yeah, happy beloved er..belated 21st birthday

xiaochin

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

don't worry, i forgive u.

*went off in search of the "101 ways to kill xiaochin for forgetting my bday" book*

lol... just kidding. i know u were busy n stressed out from ur intern. no worries