Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Attention span (ahem) getting shorter

I think... my attention span is getting shorter and shorter. Not that I'm proud of it or what.

I used to take a day or two to finish a book. Now I take a week or two (if I didn't forget about the book by that time) to finish a book. Reason: I can't get beyond 10 pages in one reading. Which is kinda sad, because I used to be able to read a book in one go if no one interrupts me.

I have never been a fan of TV shows. I can't stay still to watch a movie, unless you bring me to the cinema, which then, I will be forced to sit there and watch the whole thing (but you will see me checking the time constantly to see how long it will be before the movie ends and I can move about again), nor am I fond of drama series which need me to constantly keep track of what's going on.

I can watch anime, which is usually 20 minutes, more or less, per episode. But I take breaks between episodes. I can never go on marathon, movie, series (with the exception of Fringe, which I am obsessed with, and dying to get my hands on season 3, except that it's not even out yet), or anime.

But now, my attention is seriously getting worse. I can't even finish watching a 20-mins anime without pausing a few times in between to go do some other things! I'm currently watching an anime on Youtube, and every episode has three parts, roughly 8-9 mins a part, and I stopped at least once when watching every part.

Apparently, my attention span is now shorter than the estimated 8 minutes span. It is now approximately 4 minutes. Seriously. Just let me narrate a bit on what I do in the afternoon these few days (when I'm not being an Ahmad for my siblings).

Load Youtube videos, open fiction pages, check my Google Reader, click on lotsa articles that interest me, check out blogs, watch videos for like 4 mins, read half a page of a fiction, click MORE articles from my Google Reader, read one of the articles that I clicked, read blog, read half a page of the article, go back and finish the fiction that I abandoned half way, finish watching the video, read one of the articles that I clicked, go off and kacau my siblings, read another article, go and TV-surf, watch another video halfway, head off to find food.

Ah yes... it's a mess, I know. Makes me wonder how am I going to survive when I'm working, and I won't have the luxury to have an attention span that is only 4 minutes long.





I think... I better start working on making my attention span longer.

2 comments:

Bernard said...

LOL-ing away at your attention span and everything else that you have written about your post-utar life! :P

I used to have really short attention spans as well. When I was a kid, I used to run out of the class every 5 minutes

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

I had long(er) attention span when I was a kid! T-T It might be a sign I'm growing old. Brain decay, hence the inability to stay focus