Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Return

I finally finished reading The Return by K.S. Maniam. Like seriously, finally!! About time I finished reading already -.-'''

Anyways... I was supposed to finish it last week, seeing as the bloody annoying lecturer was teaching it last week, but many thanks to the said lecturer, I lost all interest in reading the novel. In fact, I lost all interest in going to his class, and you would think I would be excited to go, since it is Malaysian Lit and I absolutely adore Literature.

Well... I see it doesn't matter if I did finished reading before he started teaching, as his "teaching" consisted of reading bits and parts of texts from the novel, as though we were having a reading session instead of a proper class. His "reasoning" is that he wants us to develop our own thinking and not rely on his ideas, yeah yeah, we know, we won't plagiarise your freaking fantastic idea, no worries, but then again, how is reading bits and parts from the text is going to help us with our critical thinking? BS, is what he's feeding us, if you ask me.

Like hello? We don't get into uni without knowing how to read, for God's sake. Not to mention we ARE English students, like duh?

Anyways, like the other short story of K.S.Maniam that we read (Haunting the Tiger), The Return is pretty symbolic in a very confusing way. And I personally think that said lecturer shouldn't try to be smart by giving us intense readings like this if he himself doesn't know how to explain to us. It doesn't matter if the readings are boring or confusing, the thing is, HE DOESN'T EXPLAIN THEM AND HE FREAKING EXPECTS US TO UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE THING WHEN I AM ALREADY SO PISSED OFF WITH HIM TO HAVE ANY SANE THOUGHTS WHEN I AM IN HIS CLASS? Hell, not gonna happen!

But then again, after finishing the whole novel, I sorta get a little what the message is about, though I still doubt that I will be able to form good critical thinking about this novel. Seriously, he pretty much killed all my passion for this subject already, and I loathe him for that.

And now, moving on to the other novel that I have to read. Sadness.... I'm not looking forward to it since I heard from my friends that it is full of typo errors and mistakes. Gah... if it's true, poor thing, he can't even choose a good book for us to read!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol maybe you should challenge him in a class for once. "sir, can we compare your critical thinking with ours? I think discussions help us to understand more" LOL

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

good news is... i'm having his last class tomorrow! thank god!!