Saturday, October 4, 2008

The population of smokers

You know what annoys me the most? It's that I always, ALWAYS end up sitting near smokers who will happily burn away their seven minutes of life while letting the people around them, no matter if those people are people they care about or just strangers, get exposed to secondhand smoke, which is actually more deadly than the fumes they (the smokers) inhale while smoking.

Like duh! As if they don't have the brain to know that people who are exposed to secondhand smoke are more proned to lung cancer than the smokers themselves.

I don't know if it's just my bad karma, or Malaysia is just overpopulated with smokers, but I am SERIOUS! Everytime I go out for "yam cha" or dinner or lunch, unless I go to those non-smoking zone, I WILL END UP SITTING NEAR A SMOKER WHO WILL HAPPILY KILL MY LUNGS FOR ME! Thank you very much, but I happen to like my lungs clean and cancer-free.

Anyways, other than the fact that my lungs are slowly but surely being poisoned by those secondhand smoke, I will stink. Stink of the smoke smell from head to toe. It is a blessing that my hair is now short so I can't really smell the smoke smell in my hair, though my fringe is long enough to fall all over my face, thus I do get the occasional bad smoke smell when I leave the smokers-dominated zone. And my clothes. Gosh... I like to imagine after the smoke seeps into my clothes, when I wash them, the water will actually turn gray and kill whatever alive being when the polluted water reaches the poor creatures who live in the sewer.

I know... overactive imagination. So sue me.

Seriously, is there any harm in wanting to keep my lungs free from cancer and stay clean-smelling at the same time? Don't those people realise that they are just burning their money and life away by smoking? And don't they realise that they are just being plain selfish and stupid for causing lung cancer for other people, not to mention polluting the air?

I really don't get smokers, eventhough I know nicotine can get them addicted. Especially those who have young children with them and they will just continue puffing and puffing like nobody's business with the children around them.

2 comments:

Bernard said...

I can totally understand your situation! The problem is that these smokers don't care if others suffer because all they think of is "OMG I need my fix now if I don't I would rather die". That's why they invented heavy perfumes like Issey Miyake's Intense so that they could cover up their hazardous scent and make it into something sexy!

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

i didn't know that there is perfume to cover up that smell!