Sunday, March 23, 2008

The loner, not the hypocrite

Sometimes, I don't know why, maybe I did have such a freakingly huge ego that I can't stand it when people criticise me, or maybe I just don't like the fact that people try to change me. Especially if those people are homo sapiens that I happened to call my friends.

For my "friends" out there who try to change me, I have something to say.

Shut up. You don't know enough about me to try to change me into someone who you think I should be.

Seriously, sometimes things don't happen because I'm pathetic or lame, not to say that I think myself as the coolest, the hippest, or whatever terms you planned to use, but sometimes things happened because I chose for it to happen this way. Like when I choose to stay at home and face my laptop instead of going out, that is because I don't like to go out ALL the time, and rather stay home and chill, instead of chill outside of my home. Just because I don't go out all the time doesn't mean I am the friendless, anti-social girl.

And just because I don't have like hundreds of people on my friend list in Friendster and Facebook doesn't mean that I don't have friends. Because I don't care whether I have that many people on the list, and for most people, that list is for show only anyways! What I care about is having real friends who will be there for me when I need them, not just their pretty pictures to decorate my online friend list. If given a choice between being the hypocrite who has thousands of "friends" on Friendster and Facebook, and the anti-social loner that only has two true best friends, then I rather be the loner, thank you very much.

The thing is, most of the time I choose to do things my own way. I rather be true to myself than be someone who is pretending all the time, because this pretending thing is tiring, both physically and emotionally. I just don't want to do that. And I don't need a lot of fake friendships that will make me popular, I want friendships that are real and will be cherished even when I'm miles apart from my friends.

So, what I'm trying to say is, just because you are the way you are, doesn't mean that you have to change me into someone like you. Because I'm not you, and I will NEVER want to be you. I might find dissatisfaction in life once or twice here and there, but I will never want to be anyone other than me.

Last but not least, I'm not trying to insult those people who did have hundreds of friends on Friendster or Facebook by saying it's only for show. Maybe some of you did have that many friends, but I'm just not that into having so many friends. The keeping-in-touch would have shortened my lifespan by half if I do have so many friends.

After all, I am the loner anyways.

1 comment:

Bernard said...

I agree with you totally.

Lantaklah whatever they want to say. They are not you. They are not me either. I personally don't like going around and then acting like the "Paris Hilton" among the guys to have lots of friends and then adorn my friendster/facebook profile with my "friends". Pleeeeease.

I'll be posting this topic in my blog when the time is right.