Monday, July 14, 2008

The accident and chocolate cakes

Just when I have decided to let go, and move on, and enjoy the moment, something JUST have to happen to dampen the day before my birthday.

This is actually the first time I had an accident, though I had quite a few almost accidents. Those a few scratches here and there kind of accident. Not those accidents that actually required you to report to the police.

Thankfully, both the other driver and I are unharmed. Unfortunately, my mum's car did not survive the crash. It was a pretty bad crash, the mechanic estimated around 3k of repairing, the front part was totally off now, and the right light, well, there was no light anymore after the crash.

Okay, the story is like this. I was behind two cars at the junction waiting to go. I was so busy looking at the oncoming car that when I saw the first car go, I assumed that the second car would follow as there was no car coming. Sadly to say, the second car did not follow, hence the crash.

The other car escaped with only a minor busted back light. If only I could say the same for my mum's car. In the end, mum and the other driver went to make police report in order to claim the cost of repairing car from the insurance company. The reason why I was not the one reporting is because I had a bus ride to catch to come back to PJ. Even the bus ride was not as smooth as I want because the driver was driving soooooooooooooo very slow and it turned out to be a four hours journey instead.

And you know what's the freakist part of the whole accident? Nobody yelled or screamed or scolded me at all. Not the driver that I crashed into. He just smiled when I apologised and asked him to wait for my parents to settle the crash. My mum gave me a hug the moment she came and asked me if I am okay, even if I kept telling her the car is not okay. And dad didn't scold me either, no grounding, no allowance deduction, no banning me from driving. Nothing at all! And all the while I was so freaked out that I felt like crying despite everyone telling me that it was okay and any driver will one time or another experienced a car accident.

But anyways, I got ambushed by my friends with two chocolate cakes for my 20th birthday. One was from three days ago, when I went out to "yam cha" with my beloved Joy and Kang, and since I bumped into another old friend, Leng Choo, I invited her and the three of them surprised me with a cake when we were halfway through drinking. Well, technically Miss Kang was looking for "new and improved socks", so she went MIA until Joy called her back.

And about half an hour ago, the housemates ambushed me with another chocolate cake. It was kinda funny how I just walked right past Zaza who was holding the cake out for me. It didn't exactly register in my mind that she was holding a cake until I walked right past it. Lol.

So the usual singing went on, and the tradition of K3E started. The deeply embedded candle in the cake that needed to be taken out with the birthday girl, using only her mouth. No prize for those who guessed what happened. I got my chin and nose smeared with chocolate and cream, thanks to Sushi Toh. Oh, and my eye too.

Well, both cakes were delicious, and I love them. I got Dante's Inferno from Zaza, Meme, Sal, Yeunouh, Shelmi, Pei Ling AND Lynda Leong. Been eyeing that book for quite some time, though now that I have it, it probably is going to take me forever to finish it. Lol.

Other than the book, despite the accident that would have costed my parents quite some money if it wasn't for the insurance company, my mum still gave me a bracelet for my birthday.

In the end, I only have this to say to myself. "About bloody time you come to some understanding and realisation, you bloody idiot." But that was for me. I'm incredibly happy that this year my birthday will still be the same as every other year yet at the same time it will be different. Thank God for my friends and family.

2 comments:

The Grey Empress said...

Hey! it's not fair! I should be in your Dante's Inferno thank you list too...sob sob~you pilih kasih!
Anyway, I know how you must have felt. That's how you would realise how great our parents' love is..so Happy Birthday & be grateful always~

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

i knew i forgot someone! nvm. i edit the post :) sorry!