Monday, December 8, 2008

The annoying girl

Honestly, I am not a big fan of travelling by bus. All the more if I am alone, which is always the case when I'm travelling back and forth between KL and BP. I can't sleep in the bus, because I am a very difficult person, I need my pillow, blanket and bed in order to sleep, and I can't really do anything else except listen to my MP3. Well, I can read, but most of the time I got bored after half an hour, and the journey is more than three hours, so yeah, that sort of entertainment doesn't last long.

And I like to point out that I don't think I am a violent person, though Joshua and Sal will say otherwise. It's just that, I know, this is a bad excuse, that I am not a very touchy-feely person. I'm not very comfortable with people touching me, eg. hugs, and I don't really like it if people that I don't really know come into my personal space (sitting too close is something that icks me out very much, so you can imagine the situation when I am in LRT or bus during rush hour). Anyways, as I am saying, people who I am most comfortable with probably received most of my sarcasm and my occasional burst of violence.

But I have never, EVER had the urge to want to smack a little girl so much. And that was what I was feeling when I was in the bus home yesterday from BP.

It just so happened that sitting behind me were two little girls. The elder sis was probably around, 8 or 9. And the younger sis, 5 or 6. When I realised they were sitting behind me, some sixth sense told me that this is not going to be a pleasant bus ride. But I digress. It was not polite of me to form bad impression on the younger sis when I had only knew of her existence for a grand total of 5 minutes.

So the two girls came up the bus with their grandma. They were noisy, and I couldn't help hearing that the younger sis insisted on going to the toilet right after they landed their butts on the seats. The grandma was surprised, because apparently they just came back from the toilet. But no, the lil girl insisted that she needed to go to the toilet, so off they went, thus delaying the bus for 10 mins.

I digressed. It's okay, I thought. It's not like the bus always leaves punctually.

During the bus trip, since I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep, I decided to finish reading "The return". And like it was not boring enough that I was reading that novel, the lil girl had to be creepy by poking her head between the seats, and peering over my shoulder, trying to read what I was reading. No offense, but seriously, kepoh much? Hello, like you know how to read? And it's rude to be doing that. Not to mention that her presence was making me lose concentration.

I got hungry after I finished reading, so I took out my snack to eat. Okay, this is probably not very generous of me, but then again, remember, I don't like that lil girl. So while I was eating, again, she poked her head in between the seats and started to talk to her sis. Telling her sis that she wants to eat whatever I am eating. Telling her grandma that she MUST have what I am eating.

So the sis and the grandma tried their best to persuade her that she can have some bread first to fill her tummy if she is hungry. But no, she wants snack. So she started wailing, and it took a while for her grandma and sis to shut her up.

And you would have thought, peace, AT LAST. NO. She starting asking if they are reaching already. In a LOUD voice. So the grandma told her that, no, we still have another hour and a half to go. Then she started wailing again, saying why it took so long to reach KL. Again, the grandma and sis had to calm her down in order not to disturb the other passengers.

The bus stopped for toilet, and so most of the passengers went down. I had no idea what happened because I was one of the first to get off the bus, and also one of the first to get back into the bus. The annoying girl and her grandma and sis walked back in. After the sis and grandma settled down, the girl started bugging them about the snack again. She insisted that they all go down to get her snack, and it took the grandma a while to shut her up.

Luckily, the lil girl shut up before the bus left, if not, I have the urge to encourage her to go look for the snack herself and hopefully leave her and let everyone else have some peace.

Nothing much happened after we left the reststop, except that the annoying lil girl won't shut her mouth. I kept hearing her talking this and that, asking annoying questions like are we there yet? Why does it take so long? to both her sis and grandma.

And then we were finally in KL. When the bus turned into Jalan Hang Tuah, we got stuck in a very bad jam. The bus was literally crawling, and like that wasn't annoying enough, the bloody girl had to start crying. The reason for her crying was not even a reasonable one. Apparently, she started hitting her sis, for whatever reason, and her grandma told her not to hit her sis anymore. Her grandma didn't even scold her, just told her gently that it is not right to hit her sis, and then she started crying already.

For God's sake, like it's not frustrating enough to be stuck in a jam. I could see the expression on the driver's face through the rear mirror, and it was one of annoyance. So the grandma tried to stop the girl from crying, and after ten minutes of crying, she started demanding that her sis apologised to her while continuing her cry. APOLOGISE! Like it was her sis's fault that she was crying.

So the grandma had no choice but to ask the sis to apologise. The sis insisted that it was not her fault, but the grandma insisted that she apologised just to shut her up, so she did. BUT the lil girl did not shut up either. She continued crying, demanding that the sis apologised, even though she already did. At that time, I felt like there is no other person that needed a good slapping in the whole wide world more than that girl.

Then, as her crying continued to fill the bus, the bus suddenly stopped. The engine stopped working, and the bus driver tried restarting it. A few failed attempts, but the bus started again. At this time, we were still stuck in Jalan Hang Tuah. Luckily, the bus managed to work till it finally died at the middle of the road where we always get off. Except that we had to walk 10 mins to reach Pudu. So I guess it was a blessing that the bus died so near Pudu instead of in the middle of the highway or something.

The driver told us that we would have to walk, and most immediately left the bus. Who wouldn't? Even if it's just to get away from the bloody girl?

And so, that was the end of the journey. And I had to walk half an hour to reach Pasar Seni, because the bus always stops at the other end of Pudu.

Seriously, how is it that I always seemed to have misfortune when it comes to bus trip?

5 comments:

Bernard said...

I understand your frustrations. Some people just can't take sarcasm at all. I pity them, honestly. Wonder why you consider yourself violent, though.

I can't imagine what I would have done if I were you though. Perhaps give her some sleeping pills, saying "It's candy!" to shut her up. Or something more violent. I don't know. It would bee disastrous.

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

i don't have sleeping pill... but i probably could have tried knocking her unconscious. seriously, most of the time i don't get the urge to want to smack a kid no matter how annoying that kid is. this is a first

Anonymous said...

lol kids...
i had one cousin just like that.

I had some annoyance in the plane lately (yeah i went to Kuching), I was in a flight to return to West Malaysia. Some toddler was sitting behind me, and I srsly needed to rest/sleep cos I'm feeling sleepy. Suddenly that kid started kicking or punching the back of my seat. I remember I growled a bit, swearing in my head that i'll definitely explode if that kid does it again.

Thank goodnes she didn't.

Jojo aka Death Angel said...

there should be a law against kids who disrupt passengers' peace in bus/plane!

sue aka yume said...

I think I can understand your frustations. Oh btw, Sue Peng here. Was reading other people's blog (u know how boring holidays can be XD), and I somehow found yours through some link. Love ur blog! I find it funny and entertaining XD